Saturday, January 7, 2012

Tangerine Cake

Tangerines


This one is especially dedicated to my Husband because of his love for all Orange flavored things. From drinks to desserts, from chocolate to candy, if its orange flavored...its his by default :) My older son saves all his orange candy/lollipops for him.


Tangerines are a great source of Vitamin C, folate and beta-carotene. They also contain trace amounts of vitamins B1, B2 and B3.


Oranges in India have a very intense taste unlike the oranges here. The only thing that comes close to it are the tangerines. I have made thousands of cakes but I have not tasted anything like this before, it is that good.


So, I decided to make this Tangerine flavored pound cake. You could actually use any citrus fruit for this, whatever is fresh and available in your local grocery store. You could substitute the Tangerine with any variety of orange, grapefruit or even lemons. I used Tangerines because one, they are in abundance right now and second, for their intense orange flavor and color.


It might look like it is a lot of work but truly its not hard to make and tastes absolutely divine. Umm,umm,umm...


I always make my recipes and do a taste test before I write about the taste, feel, texture, experience etc. This Tangerine cake is by far the best orange cakes I have ever had (and I have tried quite a few different ones). This would be perfect for a Sunday afternoon brunch during early spring or if you have some friends over for tea. I can promise you that everyone will be asking you which bakery you got it from. Also, it got 2 thumbs up from my son and his friend, my harshest critics.


NOTE: Anytime I know I will be baking in the next few hours, I like a few things like butter, cream cheese, eggs etc to be at room temperature. Its easier to work with them when they are a little soft and pliable, unless a recipe asks for chilled butter like in pie crusts etc.


Tangerine Cake
Recipe: Tangerine Cake
Ingredients
1Tbsp oil and 1Tbsp flour to prep your baking pan
4-5 Oranges (Tangerines or any other variety)
2 Tbsp Orange rind
6 Tbsp Cream Cheese (I like to use low fat)
6 Tbsp Butter
1 2/3 Cup Sugar
2 eggs
2 Cups All-purpose Flour (I like unbleached, less processed)
1 tsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 Cup Canola Oil
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 Cup 1% milk
For the Glaze
3/4 Cup Orange juice (I used fresh Tangerine juice)
1 1/4 Cup Confectioners sugar
1/8 tsp Salt


Method

  1. Prepare a tube pan by oiling and flouring it so the cake does not stick to the sides of the pan.
  2. Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees F.
  3. In a small bowl mix the dry ingredients, flour, baking powder and salt.
  4. In a large bowl beat the butter, cream cheese and 1 2/3 cup sugar until it is pale and fluffy.
  5. Add the egg one at a time until they are well incorporated.
  6. Add the flour mix (3 additions) and milk (2 additions) alternately starting with the flour and ending with the flour.
  7. Now add the canola oil, orange rind and vanilla extract. Just fold it gently till its all mixed well. Do not over-mix at this point.
  8. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 70 minutes. Insert a toothpick or thin skewer to make sure it has cooked through. The toothpick should come out clean.
  9. Cool for a 10-15 minutes and get it out of the pan.
  10. TO MAKE GLAZE: Pour the juice in a sauce pan and boil on medium heat till is reduced to 1/4 cup. Let it cool a little and then add the confectioners sugar and salt. Pour over the cake.
Step-by-step process,


All the ingredients
Prepare a tube pan by oiling and flouring it so the cake does not stick to the sides of the pan. I used an oil and flour spray. Pre-heat your oven to 325 Degrees F.


In a small bowl mix your dry ingredients, 2 Cups All-purpose Flour (I like unbleached, less processed), 1 tsp Baking powder, 1/2 tsp Salt.





In a large bowl beat 6 Tbsp butter, 6 Tbsp cream cheese and 1 2/3 cup sugar until it is pale and fluffy.





Add the egg one at a time until they are well incorporated.


Egg 1 and mix well

Egg 2 and mix well
After egg additions
Add the flour mix (3 additions) and 1/2 cup milk (2 additions) alternately, starting with the flour and ending with the flour.






Now add the 1/4 Cup canola oil, 3 Tbsp orange rind and 1/2 vanilla extract. Just fold it gently till its all mixed well. Do not over-mix at this point.





Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 70 minutes. Insert a toothpick or thin skewer to make sure it has cooked through. The toothpick should come out clean.


Cool for a 10-15 minutes and get it out of the pan. Set i on your serving platter.


TO MAKE GLAZE: Pour 3/4 Cup Tangerine juice in a sauce pan and boil on medium heat till is reduced to 1/4 cup. Let it cool a little and then add the 1 1/4 Cup confectioners sugar and 1/8 tsp salt. Pour over the cake and serve. I garnished it with orange segments.





Enjoy making it, I really did.

4 comments:

  1. Priya,

    Congrats on the blog. And I am definitely going to make this cake. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rudri, I am loving writing about and making my favorite things. Hope you enjoy making some of the things on there. Let me know how it turns out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will surely give this a shot. I like the way you have a picture for every step. Do we have to make this in the tube pan?
    Tks!
    Seema

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Seema, No you don't have to use a tube pan. I had one so I used it. You could use a loaf pan, bundt pan, anything you might have. Hope you enjoy making it.

    ReplyDelete