Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Dark Chocolate Flan Cake


Love, love, love this cake...
What can I say, nothing I can say will do justice to this amazing cake. I love Flan and Dark Chocolate cake but when you put the two together, it is heaven on earth :)

I ate this for the first time at my Husbands winter party at work. At the time, he worked for the University of Texas and one of his undergrad students made this for the potluck. I was so impressed that I had to have the recipe...I have made a few changes to it and customized it to my liking.

Although very tempting to do this, DO NOT try to serve this before chilled completely. It falls apart, doesn't set up, makes a big mess. I know this because I made that mistake! HA HA...lesson learned.

RECIPE: Chocolate Flan Cake
Ingredients
For the Cake:
Cooking Spray
1 cup Smucker's Caramel Flavored Topping or Mexican Cajeta or any caramel sauce
1 (18.25 oz.) box Devil's Food Cake Mix
1/2 cup Canola or vegetable oil3 large eggs
12 Oz Coca Cola Can

For the Flan:
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 (14 oz.) can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 (12 fl.oz.) can Evaporated Milk
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
Method


  1. Make devil's food cake mix according to directions on box, substituting Coke for the water. Put aside.
  2. Combine evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, eggs,and vanilla; mix with mixer or in a blender for 2-3 min. Set aside.
  3. Spray Bundt pan with cooking spray. Pour 1/2 bottle of Cajeta into bottom of Bundt pan, then pour cake batter in on top of caramel.
  4. You will pour the flan mixture down the side of the Bundt pan and chocolate cake mixture. Flan mixture will go down the side and below the chocolate cake eventually when it bakes. 
  5. Coat piece of foil with no-stick cooking spray. Cover pan, coated side down, tightly with foil.
  6. Get a pan that the Bundt pan will fit in. Fill pan with water, then set Bundt pan in water and place in oven. Cook at 400 degrees for about 1 hour to 1 1/2 hour. Start checking at 45 min. Use toothpick in the center of the cake to check if done. (Cake will also separate from sides of pan when done.) Mine got done at 1 1/2 hour mark.
  7. You must cool this cake in the refrigerator at least 4-5 hours so that the flan sets up. (I make mine the day before serving and put it in the fridge overnight.)
  8. When cooled, put large plate or serving tray on top of Bundt pan and flip over. This cake is very messy because the caramel drips down when you turn it. Remove from refrigerator at least 2 hours prior to serving.
  9. Decorate with shaved dark chocolate and berries.
Step-by-step process,



















Pour Chocolate cake mix over it

Now pour the flan mixture down the side





NOTE: You do not need a bundt pan to make this. For example I saved a little batter and made a small cake for my kids since I had to take the larger Bundt to their School (teacher's birthday). I would not have heard the end of it if they did not get to taste it.




Enjoy!!!

2 comments:

  1. Yummmm. And that's the first thought that enters your mind while the cake is still in the oven!! When it cools and you dig in... heaven!!!

    This cake is one of those amazing desserts that seems to involve laborious work and hours n hours of prep time. In reality, it is just the opposite! I love recipes like this where you hardly spend any time, but the result is so dramatic, that people keep going on and on about how good it is, and how much time it must have taken.
    It's a win-win, really: You get a bunch compliments, and the people you have made it for feel super special!

    Priya, thanks for being so detailed in your recipe and for the step-by-step process. It is extremely helpful and very reassuring. The recipe turned out great! I made this cake for a Super Bowl party, and everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) who had a piece was smacking their fingers, trying to get every bit of the caramel from their plates. Thought comical, it was indicative of how deeeelish your cake turned out.

    If I had to rate this recipe, it would be 5-stars!!! Thanks again for sharing this ah-mazingly awesome cake's recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for trying and liking it so much. I am so glad you found it easy to make with the step by step process. I love to hear about your experiences so keep writing back.

      Delete