Friday, January 6, 2012

10 minute Slice-able Chocolate Truffle

I read this recipe in a magazine on a recent trip to my hair salon. I'm still old-fashioned that way, I carry a small notebook and pen in my purse for this very reason. I had to write down the ingredients lest I forget them on my way home, he he. I don't quite like to type it up on my phone, love the pen and paper feel especially for my recipes. I think this recipe was from 101 cookbooks (not sure, will look it up). 


Anyhow, reading it reminded me of my husband. He always tells me how I spend so much time on cooking a lavish meal when we are entertaining that I am all wiped out by the time I get to the dessert part. He is very sweet and offers to go get us some dessert from the store but knowing me, that's a very rare and absolutely last option. I don't like to skimp on making dessert when I have spent all this time making everything else from scratch. So, I am thinking this is the perfect dessert recipe for me when I don't have the energy to whip up another dish that takes at least an hour or more. 


Its under 10 minutes with 7 ingredients and most of them you already have at home. It is a rich, savory, humble and easy to make recipe that involves no baking. The 70% Cacao Dark Chocolate adds so much depth and oomph to it. A little slice of this goes a long way in delivering an intense chocolate satisfaction. What I like most about it is that it is not over the top sweet, I like to taste the flavor of dark almost bitter-sweet Chocolate. 

NOTE: If you like it sweeter or are not a big fan of dark chocolate substitute the dark chocolate with a lower percentage of Cacao or use Milk Chocolate and omit the instant coffee granules. You will have a sweeter, fudgier, chocolate dessert.


Recipe: Slice-able Chocolate Truffle
Ingredients
8 Oz Chocolate (Intense Dark 70% and 72% Cacao from Ghirardelli)
8 Oz Heavy Cream
1/2 tsp Allspice
2 tsp Instant Coffee Granules
Cocoa Powder for garnish
Handful of Berries for garnish


Method

  1. Line a small loaf pan or any pan that you like with parchment paper and set aside.
  2. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler over low heat.
  3. In a small saucepan heat the cream and add the allspice and coffee granules. Mix it well and when it is very hot to the touch, take it off the heat  and add the salt.
  4. Add the cream to the melted chocolate. Mix it well so that it is well incorporated and no white streaks remain.
  5. Pour into the prepared pan, cover it with plastic wrap and let it sit in the refrigerator for a few hours.
  6. Once it is chilled, remove from pan. Dust it with cocoa powder, slice and serve with fresh berries.
Step-by-step process,

Don't worry if you do not have a double boiler. I don't have the fancy gadget either so I make my own makeshift one that does a perfect job. My reason for not getting it is because its one less thing to store in my Kitchen :) All you have to make sure is that your top pan with the chocolate is not touching the simmering water. The top pan needs the heat of the steam without touchig the heat source so it does not overcook the chocolate.

Anyhow, once you have it all set up, coarsely chop the chocolate and set it over the simmering water pan until it has almost melted. Make sure you do it over a low heat setting so it does not burn or scorch your chocolate.





In a small saucepan, heat the cream and add the coffee granules and allspice.  Mix it well and take it off the heat when it feels very warm to the touch. Now add the salt to it.




Mix the chocolate and cream until well incorporated. Make sure no streaks remain.




Pour into the prepared pan and cover with a plastic wrap.


Refrigerate it for a few hours to overnight until its chilled.

Remove from pan, peel off the parchment paper and dust with the cocoa powder. 

Slice it up and serve with a handful of berries or orange segments.


Enjoy with a steaming cup of green tea. I have it all set up with my tea and now all I need is a good movie to watch.


Until tomorrow... Hope you all have a great day.



4 comments:

  1. Why don't you live somewhere in India.. :( *mouth watering* :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I lived closer too. Who knows about the future, we'll meet again I'm sure. Till then try making this, you won't regret it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now let me know, how you like it after a tatse test.

    ReplyDelete