Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Jackfruit (Kathal in Hindi): A culinary adventure...

This was quite an adventurous weekend from a culinary perspective. My 10 year old asks his dad, "What is one of your favorite vegetables?" and dad's reply, "Jackfruit or popularly known as Kathal in Hindi." So we hunted it down and then began the process of actually cooking it. I have never cooked the vegetable/fruit in my life but loved eating it every single time in India so I tried to replicate it from memory. It was quite a tall order for me too. Lets say it took a few hours from start to finish and was fried so not one of my healthiest recipes. It will be interesting to see if there is any other way to cook it. I have experience only with the fried version.That said, it turned out exactly as I remember and was a huge success so well worth the hard work. It is also called the Vegetarians meat dish since it has quite a few similarities with goat curry.


Jackfruit cooked Curry style

History of Jackfruit: Jackfruit is native to South East Asia and is believed to have originated in the Western Ghats of India, present day Goa, Kerela and coastal Karnataka.

Description: It has a starchy and Fibrous texture and is a great source of easily digestible fiber. It is also a good source of the antioxidant Vitamin C. Jackfruit seeds are rich in protein and also has Vitamin B6, potassium, Calcium and Iron. It has a distinctive musky with a hint of sweet and fruity aroma. The only comparison I can make texture wise is with a pineapple.


Whole/halved, cut into pieces and frying
Fried
Ready to serve
This endeavor took about 4 hours and that's why you do not see a full recipe with it. Only seriously interested people will get the recipe emailed to them. 

Thanks a lot. 

1 comment: