Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Quick Shrimp Curry

Really enjoying the rainy weather in Austin today. From my living room window it feels like I am sitting in a hilly vacation resort in India which brings me to my favorite topic, Food!!! 

I could eat some piping hot Malabar Shrimp Curry with steamed rice right about now and that is exactly what I am making today. This is a much easier and quicker version of the actual Malabar Shrimp curry but tastes quite similar and is my go to version when I am pressed for time or just feeling lazy ;)


RECIPE: Quick Shrimp Curry

Ingredients

1 TBSP Sunflower oil

1 Onion finely chopped
2 Tbsp Ginger, grated
6 Cloves Garlic, grated
1-2 cups English peas (use as much as needed, I like them a lot)
2 tomatoes, chopped

1 tsp Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp Chilli powder or flakes
salt to taste

1 1/2 lb Shrimp, uncooked 
1 can Coconut milk
1 lemon, sliced
1 cup Cilantro, chopped.

Method

  1. Heat the Sunflower oil and saute the onions till they are a little caramelized and starting to brown. 
  2. Add the ginger and garlic and saute for a minute or two till you can smell the aromas.
  3. lower the heat and add the dry spices, turmeric, chilli powder or flakes and let them cook for a minute. 
  4. Add the tomatoes and salt and cook till the tomatoes soften a bit. Once soft, time to add the peas and cook them for about 5 minutes while stirring the mixture often. Fresh english peas take time to cook and soften unlike the frozen sweet peas that are much sweeter and pre-cooked.
  5. Now add the Shrimp and they will turn pink in a couple of minutes. 
  6. Pour in the coconut milk and let simmer for 8-10 minutes. Stir in chopped cilantro, saving some for garnishing. Serve the lemon slices in a separate bowl and use as needed. 
















Enjoy and let me know how it turned out for you. Thanks and talk to you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment