Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Make life easy: A little planning and forethough



The long weekend was hectic with Valentines and Monday being a school holiday. I knew I had a lot packed into my 4 day week with school commitments for my boys, after school activities and personal commitments. Where am I going with this?

This blog post is about putting a little planning and forethought in the way you shop and cook to make weekday mealtimes a little less stressful. Yes, I can always stop at a fast food drive through on the way back from our activities and I actually enjoy doing that once in a while but doing that often leads to a massive guilt trip and it’s a health compromise.

I made the grocery list with the boys and shopped with them Monday, makes for a fun outing as they love to pick the “just right” produce and bag it for me J. It’s a mini lesson on reading labels for them too. My 11 year old picked up a can of chicken soup because it looked super fun with alphabet pasta. The label said “For Kids” and used words like natural and healthy. That got us to reading the label and he figured out there was not much healthy in there with 27% of your daily intake of sodium.

When I know I have some busy days ahead of me I make a few dishes in advance and portion them out into individual boxes and use them as needed. These make for perfect balanced and nutritious meals on the go. You can heat it up at home after a long day of running around or take them with you for lunch etc. Today on the menu was,


Chicken Piccata, Mushroom and Herb Risotto and Sautéed Asparagus and Shiitake Mushrooms. (Click on the links for recipes).






The younger audience loved it too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment