Friday, February 19, 2016

Green Tea Pound Cake

Think outside the tea bag for a minute. I love the flavor of tea in cakes and desserts. I have to make my Earl Grey Tea Cake and Chamomile Almond Torte for ya'll soon (like you would let me forget). 

One of my all time favorite desserts is the green tea ice cream and I never pass an opportunity to devour some.  So, got me to the brilliant idea of baking a green tea cake. Lets see if it turns as good as I think it will.

Ideally, one would use Matcha or Sencha powders in the batter but since I don't have any I will be splitting open my tea bags and using it in my cake. You can blitz it in a coffee grinder to make a fine powder but I am keeping the leaves as it for a mild texture in my cake.




RECIPE: Green Tea Pound Cake

Ingredients
  • 1 Cup All-purpose flour
  • ½ tsp Baking soda
  • ½ tsp Sea salt
  • 2 tsp Matcha/Sencha tea bags split open
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp Sugar
  • 1/4 Cup Sunflower oil
  • 1/4 Cup Apple sauce
  • 2 large Eggs
  • 1/4 Cup Greek yogurt
  • 1 tsp Vanilla flavor
Method

1. Preheat oven to 350°F and grease grease a loaf pan with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, beat together sugar, oil, apple sauce, eggs, yogurt and vanilla until smooth.
3. Sift together the all-purpose flour, baking soda, salt and green tea leaves into the larger bowl, mixing as you go in make sure it is all incorporated and the mixture is smooth.
4. Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan.
5. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
6. Cool on wire rack for 20 minutes before turning out of the pan.
7. Before serving dust with powdered sugar and serve with sliced, fresh strawberries or with fresh blueberries and a dollop of Mascarpone and of course a pot of freshly brewed green tea.












 Makes about 10 servings with roughly 172 calories per slice. Its a dessert after all. Hope you enjoy making it and leave me a comment with your favorite baking with tea recipe.
Nutrition Facts
Servings 10.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 172
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 6 g10 %
Saturated Fat 1 g5 %
Monounsaturated Fat 4 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 37 mg12 %
Sodium 17 mg1 %
Potassium 37 mg1 %
Total Carbohydrate 26 g9 %
Dietary Fiber 0 g2 %
Sugars 16 g
Protein 3 g6 %
Vitamin A1 %
Vitamin C2 %
Calcium1 %
Iron4 %

No comments:

Post a Comment