Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Left-Over Gourmet

Left-over Gourmet is the new buzz word in the Culinary world, a new trend if you must. I absolutely hate throwing away food and with the new craze in the cooking world of using leftovers to create gourmet meals made me think of doing this post. This is not a new concept for me since I have been utilizing left overs for creative cooking ever since I really got into cooking (I left the number of years out on purpose, he he :)

I have been reading more and more articles on this subject and many a food shows have covered it in their recent episodes as well. So what are we really talking about? 

Think juicing beets or celery and using the leftover pulp in addition to fresh ingredients and making veggie burgers. Isn't that super cool. I have done something similar in the past, pull out all the leftover vegetables, lentils and such and make a batter or dough using some chickpea flour, fresh cilantro, chopped onions and green chilies. Make patties and cook on a non-stick pan with a little oil. Use it over a salad or make a pita wrap with lettuce and humus. All those little containers in the fridge got used up and you have a healthy lunch in minutes.

Here is my take on leftovers that don't taste like leftovers and have been transformed into something delectable. In the recipe below I have used all the leftovers except 1 ingredient to make it into something appetizing and it is balanced and super healthy. Hope this gives you ideas for your culinary adventures. 


Left-Over Gourmet Hash


RECIPE: Left-Over Gourmet Hash

Ingredients


Egg Whites: I used the yolks to make custard for a dessert and had the egg whites left over. I can always scramble them and eat them with toast for breakfast but that is predictable and boring.

Stewed Chicken: Left over chicken from a soup broth I made for a friend this past weekend. Shred the chicken and add to the hash.

Lemon: 1/2 a lemon left over from the lemon tea I have in the mornings. It has been sitting by the electric kettle all day and I needed the counter cleaned up.

Quinoa and Brown Rice: I usually have some plain cooked quinoa and brown rice in the fridge. I do rotations with my starch and switch it around every meal to get different nutrients and add variety to my meals.

Mixed Vegetables: Again there is always a medley of vegetables in my refrigerator so chop anything that looks like it has seen better days and use them up.

Barley: This is the only thing I made specifically for the hash. I was in the mood for some nutty, crunchy carbs and I absolutely adore whole Barley.

Spices: I used some garlic flakes, paprika, salt and pepper to add some dimension and flavors. For me, adding red pepper flakes to this takes it up a notch on the delicious-ness meter.

Herbs: Fresh cilantro and chives were my choices today.

Roasted Peanuts: I am never out of roasted peanuts and nuts add another crunch factor to my hash. 

Fruit Salad: The fruit salad bowl is from the last of all the little things left that no one wanted to eat :)

Method: 

  1. Saute the egg whites till they are cooked. Add to it the garlic flakes and shredded chicken. Toss in the chopped vegetables, quinoa, brown rice, barley, spices and herbs. Lastly, squeeze lemon juice on top and mix it all up.








That is pretty much it. Makes for a perfect to-go lunch, it is perfectly balanced and rich in lean protein, assorted vegetables, fruits, nuts and whole grains. Add to it a fruit salad or a yogurt and you have a complete healthy meal. Hope you enjoy creating some of your own left-over gourmet meals. Don't forget to share them with me.







No comments:

Post a Comment