Monday, October 12, 2015

In a Pinch?: 3 Ingredient Tomato Sauce

I am sure we have all been there, had a crazy busy day and its almost time for dinner. Now what? 

We were visiting my sister in CA this summer and between us we had 5 kids. The days were packed with activities and fun outings and by the time we came home no one really had the energy to put together a meal. So I got this idea from my sister. She had this fresh tomato basil sauce in her refrigerator at all times and it was so easy to steam some broccoli, boil the pasta and toss with some olive oil and tomato sauce, sprinkle some fresh Parmesan and a fresh kid friendly meal was ready in 15 minutes.

The possibilities on how you can use this sauce are endless. I have used it as my base for Homemade Chilli. I have even used this sauce on fresh homemade pizzas and it works great. So I make it ahead of time and store it. I have never been a fan of pasta sauces in Jars or cans but am guilty of using them when pressed for time but I will try not to buy them again after tasting the freshness of this homemade sauce. It is super simple and healthy and most of all has no fillers or preservatives like the store bough one. 


Roasted Tomatoes, Basil and Garlic

RECIPE: 3 Ingredient Tomato Sauce

Ingredients

6 tomatoes, roasted and peeled
2 cloves Garlic, chopped
handful of  fresh Basil leaves, chopped
1 Tbsp Olive Oil (to drizzle after cooking sauce)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Method

  1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees and roast the tomatoes for 25 minutes. Let them cool, peel them and remove the core with a pairing knife. This will prevent a lumpy sauce later on.
  2. Put the tomatoes in a sauce pan and cook them on medium heat. they will thicken and reduce a little. Now add the garlic, basil, salt and pepper and let them cook for about 7-10 minutes. Cover and turn off stove.
  3. In case using it with Pasta, I like to drizzle some Olive Oil after I have tossed some pasta with the sauce. Sprinkle some Parmesan Cheese and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment