Friday, January 22, 2016

New Year Resolution: Anti-Starvation Diet


No, I have not lost it (not yet) but if I see one more new year resolution related cleanse or lose weight overnight, I will. Now that all the holidays and parties have taken a back seat in the new year, diet and health resolutions are in full swing (says the parking lot at my gym). I am not the one to shy away from food since I love to cook and eat but that can be done in a healthy way. Starving has never worked for anyone and once we understand that, life will be a lot less complicated and successful. 

Who has read the recent article about Tom Brady and his Victoria Secret Model wife's diet? Something to read and think about.(http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/tom-brady-s-personal-chef-details-quarterback-s-diet-201642671.html) I will keep my opinions to myself on this one. 

Today is a little preview on how you can have a healthy and satisfying snack when hunger strikes and not reach for the 100 calorie snack packs. This is a whole new can of worms and my pet peeve. Every time you grab the 100 calorie snack packs and feel you did good today by staying under the calorie count or not indulging and overeating, flip the pack and read the ingredients. Simply put, IF YOU CAN'T READ THEM, YOU CAN'T EAT THEM. Nothing compares to the fresh, real food that you can eat. I did a post sometime ago about eating foods in its natural forms and trying to stay away from processed foods as much as possible. The calories might be more in the snack I am about to put forth but the body knows how to process it compared to the chemicals that it cannot detect how to process and then store as fat. Another big difference is the satiety level of fresh foods vs. processed packaged food that causes more cravings by messing with your insulin levels.

Here is my go to snack when hunger strikes and it does strike us all.

Number
Food
Calories
1 Slice
Ezekiel Sprouted Seseme Bread, toasted
80
1
Egg, Hard boiled
70
1/2
Tomato, sliced
10
6 slices
Cucumber
5
1 Cup
Power Greens Trio
10
1/4
Avocado, sliced
50
1 tsp
Balsamic vinegar
5
Salt and pepper
To taste

Total
230 calories


Enjoy and leave a comment if you would like to see more healthy food options that are quick and easy.



No comments:

Post a Comment