Friday, December 16, 2011

Long time coming

This has been in the works for a long time and finally is up and running. First a little bit about myself. I live in Austin TX and  am a mom of two boys aged 6 and 2. Growing up in India I was exposed to a wide variety of food early on and my mom is an AWESOME cook so that is where my inspiration for cooking comes from. She tells me that I could barely reach the counter tops in the kitchen so I would put a chair and make paranthas (a type of stuffed naan) for family and friends. I remember growing my own potatoes in the midst of our front yard and making sauteed potatoes with cumin. Again I was barely even  6 years old and I have been cooking since then. It started out as a hobby and then flourished into a full blown obsession/passion. My friends know making food is a stress release for me and I can slave for hours cause it makes me so happy (to the delight of my sweet husband).


If you are new to dough-re-me, its a one stop shop for all things creative but especially for you if you're a big foodie like me. I plan to cover a wide range of topics different cuisines, make food hands on with step-by-step pictures and instructions and talk food with you in depth. 


Like I mentioned before, growing up in India, my mom used to make these mouth-watering, delicious little candies called " stick jaw" (literally) and it was really the most delicious candy I have ever eaten. Here in the US they are called Chewy Caramels most commonly made with sea salt sprinkled on top.

Do any of you have a list of things you love but have never had the courage to do them or fear how it might actually turn out if you made the attempt? Now getting to the point, I love these candies but have a
huge fear or mental block against making them at home. I know I can buy them in a store but the satisfaction of making something from scratch is immense, and you can't get that feeling from store bought stuff ( especially for a foodie like me). Making exotic recipes from scratch is a challenge and provides me with the ultimate rush. When I read mom’s recipe it looks real simple and I have made far more complex recipes but somehow I can't get myself to make them. Another one on the feared list is the Swiss jelly rolls and Marzipan. Actually I have a long list of these. I can't for the life of me figure out why I can't get myself to make them.
 
My New Year resolution is going to be to overcome this hurdle and make my most feared things from scratch. Each week Monday will be the day to attempt the feared recipes and I would love to share my experience along with recipes and pictures with you the following day. If you have any recipes you want recreated let me know and I will add them to the list. Don’t know what I’m getting myself into but sure sounds like fun.

6 comments:

  1. Great going Massi! Looking forward to some useful, scrumptious stuff here.
    My personal favourite - baking! Pls be regular on that :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lisa. You will like the next post since it is related to baking and I had a great time recreating it. Won't spoil the surprise so keep a look out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristi me too, looking forward to some fun times and getting you some good old Indian grub that you can make yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely..can so relate to what you're saying..i'm for sure going to be ur regular follower..gudluck n loadz n loadz of love :*

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is lovely Masi, i had no idea, awesome. I love the way its so detailed but put across so simply that even a kid (6 yrs old) would be able to cook. Great going. :)

    ReplyDelete